Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Advice from a master barber: Finding Inspiration

The layout and design of my workspace is essential to my creative flow. 
Buster Boyd: How to Stay Inspired or Find Inspiration. 

It doesn't matter what you do.  We all need inspiration from time to time.  As a barber, I firmly believe that if good people are paying good money to see me, they deserve to see an inspired me.  I really think they deserve my best.

In a TedTalks video podcast by Elizabeth Gilbert, the best-selling author points out that before the renaissance, any artist or creator was described as having a genius.  Post-renaissance, creators are described as being a genius.  Elizabeth made the interesting point that when we see inspiration as something outside or greater than ourselves, it provides us with a layer of protection from criticism, outlandish success, failure or just the overwhelming responsibility associated with genius.  Whether or not you see genius as internal or external force, (or an intercourse of both) it's important to stay in close touch with those sources of inspiration that we can find.

How I stay inspired: 

1.  My workspace: Few things can enhance or hinder inspiration as dramatically as my environment.  That includes colors, textures, images, music and even smells.  I like my workspace dark, intimate and cozy.
2.  Pictures:  I am very visual.  I have a great appreciation for photography.  Photos of people, places and things are a main source of creativity for me.  The right photo tells a story.  Stories move me.  Photos are essential because they capture and present to me content and stories that I myself would never have had access to otherwise.  I love pictures of hair, wardrobe and interior design.
3.  Music:  Music moves me.  It energizes me or mellows me out faster than anything else.  It can give me a boost when I need it or it can keep me from dropping of the edge into oblivion.  I love the darkness.  Dark and cozy music puts me in my favorite place to create and dream.
4.  My Wardrobe.  The way that I dress can make me feel lazy and sloppy or sharp and driven.  I use my clothes to snap me into productivity.
5.  Heroes:  You gotta have a hero.  The more the better.  Watch them, emulate them.  Pick the best parts of them and set goals to become the best you.
6.  Media:  I consume mass quantities of media ie. blogs, magazines (real paper hardcopies), music videos, and movies.

If you care about what you do, you will always stay ahead of the crowd.  The world needs creators.  If you are passionate and prepared, you will be ready to capture the genius when it comes knocking.  You don't want the genius to pass you by on its journey, searching for someone else, more prepared and willing to act. Stay inspired.

This is one of my most recent sources of significant inspiration:

1 comment:

  1. Buster,
    This blog that you posted is some very good advice. Now what I need to do is get on my blog and post a few writings of my own. I copied you and advice and printed it out for myself, so I can reread it over and over and try to get my inspiration back.
    Sara M. M.

    ReplyDelete